The museums of Lesvos are as varied as the island itself. They reflect the diverse culture and history that makes Lesvos such a unique holiday destination.
You can, of course, visit the many ancient sites on Lesvos. But you know that you can visit a museum showing unique aspects of Lesvos culture and history? So how about visiting:
- Barbayannis Ouzo Museum – to see how Ouzo is made
- Museum of Olive Oil Production in Lesvos
- Soap Factory Museum of Plomari
and more traditionally –
- Folklore Museum Sykaminia
- Museum of the Petrified Forest
- Ambeliko Folk Museum
- Vrana Olive Press Museum of the Archipelagos Company
- Digital art museum of George Jakobides
- Vrisa Natural History Museum
- Archaeological Museum
- Teriade Museum
- Theofilos Museum
- Byzantine Museum
- Museum of the castle of Mytilene
- Municipal Art Gallery of Mytilene
- The Old Lesvos House – Mytilene
- The Museum of Costume and Embroidery of Lesvos – Mytilene
Some of these museums host world-renowned exhibits, some will help bring to life the history of the island and some will help you understand why Lesvos is special. Some of the museums of Lesvos are a well-kept secret and should be promoted more widely.
If you visited any of the museums then please help us spread the word about the museums of Lesvos. Email me with your experience or register as a contributor so that others can get the maximum out of their visit.
Perhaps you have found a museum or exhibition that we have not listed! We need to know, please help us spread the word.