Moni Pithariou is devoted to the Archangels and is located in a beautiful ravine in the hills close to Eressos. The name of the monastery is taken from the shape of the ravine which resembles a jar (Πιθάρι – Pithari in Greek). A dam has been built across the ravine, forming a large lake.
There is little historical data about the foundation of the monastery which has resulted in much debate among researchers. An Ottoman record of the tax affairs of the region dated 1548 suggests an already established monastery. The monastery is further mentioned in a 1709 ledger which records the tax as 107 kilos of olive oil. Continue reading